TOP COURSES TO DO AFTER CA
By CA, CPA Vinod Kumar Agarwal
1. INVESTMENT BANKING – THE TOP TRENDING CAREER
In order to start your career in Investment Banking, you need to opt for short term training for two basic skills –
- Financial modelling and
- Profiles : Valuation Analyst, Investment Banking Analayst, M&A Analyst etc.
- Employers : JP Morgan , Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, Citigroup, Credit Suisse, Barclays Investment Bank, Deutsche Bank, UBS, RBC Capital Markets etc.
- Salaries : Starting at 9-10 Lakh Per Annum
2. CFA (CHARTERED FINANCIAL ANALYST)
- CAs + CFA gives you an all-around knowledge and in the field of Core Finance.
- It gives you more international acceptability.
- Profiles – Portfolio Management, Equity Research, Valuations, Portfolio management, Stock trading etc.
- Employers : Investment Banks and Consulting firms such as Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Crisil, HSBC, Deloitte, Evalueserve etc.
- Salaries : For fresher CA’s with a CFA Charter, salaries tend to average anything between 8 and 12 lakh.
3. LLB (BACHELORS OF LAW)
You can have better hold over legal language and edge over other Chartered Accountants in matter drafting appeals or presenting cases before authorities.
- Entrance Exams: Common Law Admission Test (CLAT), AILET – All India Law Entrance Test, LSAT – Law School Admission Test etc.
- Salaries : Start as high as Rs 70,000 to Rs 1,00,000 per month.
- Profiles : You can take up cases on Civil Law, Corporate Law, Labour Law, International Law, Family Law, Constitutional Law, Patent Law etc.
4. FRM (FINANCIAL RISK MANAGER)
FRM is globally recognized designation issued by Global Association of Risk Professionals .
- Exam: You need to clear both levels of FRM. The examination is conducted in November and May.
- Employers : ICBC, Bank of China, Citi, KPMG, Deloitte, E&Y, Deutsche Bank etc.
- Salaries : For fresher CA’s with a FRM, average salary is around 7-8 lakh.
- Profiles : Risk Manager or Credit Manager in Banking sector, Insurance sector or Consulting firms.
5. CS (COMPANY SECRETARY)
- Many subjects of these two courses are overlapping and hence getting 2 degrees from same knowledge is a useful proposition.
- Chartered Accountants usually pursue CS to get a strong hold in Corporate law, along with their core domains – Audit and Taxation.
- Exam : To get the CS Degree, you need to clear the three levels of examinations – Foundation, Executive and Professional. If you’re a CA, then you will get direct admission in CS-Executive.
- Profiles : A combination of these two degrees would boost up the chances of getting a Job as a Legal Adviser to MNCs for matters related Taxation, Audit and Accounting.
- Salaries : Average Salary of a Company Secretary rangers between 6 to 7 Lakh
6. CPA (CERTIFIED PUBLIC ACCOUNTANT)
- CPA is the American version of Chartered Accountancy.
- The CPA degree is given by American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, and it is mandatory to have this degree in order to practice as a Public Accountant in US.
- Profiles : A Chartered Accountant with a CPA degree can work in a wide variety of areas like Assurance services, Forensic Accounting, Tax and Financial Planning, International Accounting, Internal and External auditing etc
- Salaries : Average Salary of a CPA is between Rs 8 to 10 Lakhs in India.
- Employment opportunities : If you’re looking for opportunities to setup your practice in US or to get a job in Indian MNCs for the profiles mentioned above, then CPA is a good option after Chartered Accountancy.
Exemptions from Knowledge Level papers (F1, F2, F3) and Skills Level papers (F4, F5, F6, F7, F8, F9) are available.
Exemptions for Professional Level papers are not allowed. You must undertake exams for Professional Level papers.
- Profiles : A Chartered Accountant with a ACCA degree can work in a wide variety of areas like Assurance services, Forensic Accounting, Tax and Financial Planning, International Accounting, Internal and External auditing etc
- Salaries : Average Salary of a CA + ACCA is between Rs 8 to 10 Lakhs in India.
- Employment opportunities : Global opportunity
- Profiles : A Chartered Accountant + MBA degree is a deadly combination. Path to reach highest corporate ladder.
- Salaries : Average Salary of a CA + MBA is between Rs 10 to 15 Lakhs in India. Can be more if MBA is completed from a reputed institute.
- Employment opportunities : A large number of options open up.